By Jeff and Glenda Waugh
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Alexander Scott, MD

Male 1889 - 1961  (71 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Alexander Scott 
    Suffix MD 
    Born 31 Jul 1889  Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    Died 21 Jan 1961  Galashiels, Selkirkshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Usual residence: Belmont, Jedburgh
    Person ID I1279  My Genealogy
    Last Modified 27 May 2018 

    Father Gavin Stewart Scott,   b. 17 Jun 1841, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 31 Aug 1917, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Mother Mary Waugh,   b. 13 Jan 1858, Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, Scot Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 31 Mar 1937, Crossford, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years) 
    Relationship natural 
    Married 3 Jan 1876  Carluke, Lanarkshire Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID F890  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Jean Rae Kinnear,   d. Aft 1961 
    Married 29 Jun 1928  Dalmeny, West Lothian, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 27 May 2018 
    Family ID F897  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 31 Jul 1889 - Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 29 Jun 1928 - Dalmeny, West Lothian, Scotland Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Notes 
    • Occupation at time of marriage: medical practitioner, living in Loh Perak, Federal Malay State.

      “Immediately after graduating MB ChB in 1915 Sanny was off to training camp to prepare for service in the 79th Brigade of the 26th Division. He wrote of 'a great life', plentiful good food and a lot of drill. He also came to value his Scottish identity;
      "It may be a remnant of the clan system but I assure you birth north of the Tweed is the best qualification I can find for a man down here."
      Sanny's father thought he was pleased to have a status now. 'After having been a failure so long in gaining his diploma, and an abject dependent on the family so long on that account.' He was posted to France as Medical Officer of the 30th Brigade of the Royal Garrison Artillery in September. In the winter of 1915-1916 it was very cold in the field and his letters have more to say about the weather, and about French farming practices than about the war. As winter turned to spring he marvelled at the way the farms kept the rhythm of the seasons and described how a farmer ploughed around the holes recently made in his field by German guns. He was, however, frequently bored, and noted that, while there was a lot of action on some parts of the line, others were very quiet. "I am well and rather fed up," he wrote home. His spirits lifted when he had access to a motorbike and got around a bit. In May 1916 he was moved to Number 12 Clearing Station. Where "I have all home comforts and there are no shells." He moved on to another station, where it seems he was kept very busy.
      In July 1916 he wrote to his father, describing how busy his casualty station (Number 36) was, but not in danger as some stations up the line were. Sanny wrote that though he hated shells, "I can never feel altogether satisfied back here. Somebody must be among it, and I am just the person who ought to be, young and without wife or children. Many doctors with infantry have both." In September Sanny was promoted to Captain. He wrote to his father; "Unfortunately in the RAMC this does not mean an increase of pay. All the difference it makes is a form of address."
      Though his letters do not dwell on the sights and sounds of death, the tale of the war is there in his description of the fields. "The last bit of standing corn in sight was cut by two men with scythes in the rain this morning." Harvest time came, and Sanny found himself worrying about fields 'dropping ripe' with oats that couldn't be brought in. Sanny remained in good health, at least outwardly, though when he wrote that two surgeons, exhausted by the work being sent home, he noted that this would not happen to him since he had "an unfortunate habit of looking in the best of health."
      His health was finally broken, however. In the summer of 1918 he wrote from a Red Cross hospital in Rouen, "I have had another relapse of this wretched (trench) fever and they are sending me home." He was sent to Manchester to recover. He found Manchester rather like Glasgow, but now in convalescence hated being cooped up most of the day in a "dirty, smoky, stinking Hospital."
      Captain Alexander Scott survived the Great War. He married Jean Kinnear, a niece of his brother George's wife. He went out to Malaya to join George as a medical officer on the rubber and tin estates. He retired to general practice in Westray, Orkney in 1943, and finally to Jedburgh. He died in 1961.”
      - from Biography of Captain (Temporary Commission) Alexander Scott